Sunday, November 30, 2014



The future of Comics &
Web Comics:
Octopus Pie
by: Meredith Gran

     Before Coming into this class I did not know of web comics. I was content with the seldom viewing of Garfield or Calvin and Hobbes from the rare Sunday morning paper. I now know of web comics and seek them out regularly... I don't even have to buy a newspaper.
     I read a lot of Octopus Pie because it was what was recommended, and I see that it deals with topics that might be a little to risky for conventional Sunday Comics. It is in fact this aspect that draws me to it. I will probably always be drawn to whatever is trying to break convention because that is my nature as well. I appreciate the blunt nature of most web comics and see it as a leading comics platform in the future.
     I enjoy the format and it's environmentally friendly nature. Although I do think that comics in the from of the Sunday morning paper will persist as long as there is a demand for newsprint. I think that wen it is all said and done interactive web comics will be at the top of the heap. 
     It is interesting to think of where comic books will go in the future in the internet arena. I imagine flipping through pages and being able to interact with each panel in some form or another, or to think about what virtual reality will bring to the comics genre and all the ideas that image conjures up.
     Web comics lends itself completely to independent artists, which I am very grateful for. I love the idea of being able to publish anything your heart desires, and as long as you have an audience your work will be recognized.
     
  




No comments:

Post a Comment